News From Around the Country
- Pentagon reverses self, says Kabul drone strike was a 'tragic mistake' September 17, 2021The Pentagon has retreated from its defense of a drone strike that killed multiple civilians last month in Afghanistan.
- Review: 'Peril' is a damning — and tedious — portrait of American democracy on the brink September 17, 2021Bob Woodward's third book on the Trump presidency, written with Robert Costa, (overly) details the Trump-Biden transition with little new insight.
- Biden gathers world leaders to discuss climate action September 17, 2021The president hosted virtual talks this morning with the aim of pressing for emissions cuts.
- Here’s how to wish Jimmy Carter a happy 97th birthday September 18, 2021Jimmy Carter’s birthday is still nearly two weeks away, but tributes and well wishes are already pouring in from across ...
- Athens woman gets life sentence in killing of pregnant bystander September 18, 2021An Athens woman convicted of shooting and killing a pregnant mother in front of her 3-year-old son was sentenced Friday ...
- Everything you need to know about the world today in 80 seconds September 17, 2021A look at the top national and global stories for Friday, Sept. 17, 2021.
- Food and fun at Hang Around Victor Day September 18, 2021Guests could enjoy live music, participate in a 5k for charity and enjoy local food and drink
- How will Rochester's new Office of Neighborhood Safety reach potential gun offenders? September 18, 2021Kiah Nyame is hopeful the city's new Peacemaker Fellowship will reach young people of color to curb an ongoing cycle of gun violence. (Sept. 18, 2021)
- Rochester woman struck and killed by vehicle on Lake Avenue September 18, 2021Police report the 35-year-old Rochester was crossing the street when she was struck by a vehicle headed south on Lake Avenue.
- Union Vote Ends Nabisco Strike, Despite Portland Workers' Protest September 18, 2021by Abe Asher Scenes from the Nabisco picket line in Portland, where supporters clashed with company security guards. Jordan BrokawNabisco workers have ratified a tentative agreement on a new contract with their parent company Mondelez International, ending a strike that began in Portland more than five weeks ago and spread across the country. Members of […]
- City of Urine September 18, 2021by Anonymous I have a small bladder, and it can be really tough sometimes, especially now with COVID precautions. My job has me in a car 40+ hours a week, driving through out the metro area. Pre-Rona there were restaurants and gas stations where I'd stop to pee. Now though? Nothing's open for bathrooms. Nobody […]
- Missing swimmer found dead in Lake Michigan, while mother, daughter and good Samaritan rescued in Evanston September 18, 2021Emergency crews near Clark Street Beach in Evanston found the body of a 20-year-old male swimmer who went missing Saturday evening in Lake Michigan after a seven-hour search. His body was found after three other people were saved in an earlier rescue.
- Murder suspect took part in scheme to harass motorists during Back of the Yards slaying, prosecutors say September 18, 2021Roberto Rojas was denied bail Saturday, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of a 20-year-old woman June 11, in the 4700 block of South Rockwell Street, said police and prosecutors.
- Four shot Saturday, including toddler, police say September 18, 2021A toddler was shot Saturday morning while inside a home in the Calumet Heights neighborhood on the Far South Side, police said.
The violence needs to stop. Violence doesn’t end well for anyone. Now is the time to demonstrate a firm COMMITMENT to what is just and right. Injustice cannot be answered with injustice. A more strategic plan for supporting the current justified outcry of people in pain is needed.
For WoV, our plans should include actions that:
- Exhibit the highest degree of character, excellence, quality, and competence
- Show respect toward all people — which in the heat of a confrontation takes more than ‘being calm’
- Always strive to achieve positive change and improvement for BIPOC Communities